Saturday, April 25, 2015

Bathing Your Dog

Some dogs don't mind getting a bath while others absolutely hate it. Dogs could care less if they smell so bathing is not a priority to them. As a result, if you want your dog to cooperate in the tub, you have to make bathing a positive and rewarding experience for them.

When I give my dogs a bath, I get mixed results. Suzy will sit patiently in the tub and only shake a few times. On the other hand, Brody will jump out of the tub half way through and flood the bathroom floor. It's not that he hates bath time. He is just too energetic and thinks it's playtime.

Tips for Bathing Your Dog at Home

Whenever I bath my dogs, especially Brody, I always put on old clothes because I never know if I will end up getting a bath too. Once I'm ready, I give Brody a thorough brushing so all his excess hair won't plug up the drain. I always get my bath soap and towel ready too.

Oatmeal dog shampoos are good to use on a dog with skin allergies.


After I'm done preparing, I put a leash on Brody and lead him into the bathroom. I start the bath water and lift him in the tub. I fill up a small pail with warm water to wet down his fur.

Next, I squeeze some dog shampoo into my hand. I usually start with an amount the size of a quarter and go from there. I massage the shampoo into his fur for about five minutes and then I rinse him. I try not to get water to close to his ears to prevent ear infections.

Once I'm done rinsing Brody, I quickly wrap him in a towel and lift him out of the tub. The quicker you get a towel around a dog the less they will shake. If you live in a cold climate, wait an hour before you let them out to the bathroom so they don't catch cold.

I finish bathing Brody by cleaning his ears and eyes and trimming his nails. I always give him a treat when I'm done.

For a finishing touch, you can also use a hydrating spray to make your dog's coat extra shiny.

Bathing Alternatives

If you have a dog that regularly needs a haircut or is too big to fit in your tub, their are many professional groomers that will do the job for you. The service usually includes bathing, hair clipping, nail trimming and ear cleaning. Grooming prices for a small dog can range from $30 to $50. For large dogs with thick fur, grooming prices can range from $50 to $100.

Another bathing option is to take your dog to a dog wash facility where you bath them using their grooming equipment. Most of the facilities have waist high tubs, bathing soaps, grooming tables and dryers.The closest dog wash near me has pricing starting at $12.

Whether you bath your dog at home or go to a groomer, they are sure to smell fresh and squeaky clean. However, how long your dog stays clean is up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment