Saturday, May 9, 2015

Moisturizing Homemade Shampoo Recipe

Last week, Jake, my boyfriend's 5 year old golden retriever, was in dire need of a bath. Jake's doggy odor could be smelled five miles away and his coat looked dull. A doggy spa day was definitely on the agenda.  

Instead of bathing him with a bottle of oatmeal shampoo I bought at my local pet store, I decided to make a concoction of my own. I wanted to make a shampoo that would not only cleanse him but add some extra shine to his coat so I did a little homework. I researched cleansing products that were all-natural and pet safe. Then I came up with a recipe to tailor Jake's cleansing and moisturizing needs. 

What You Will Need:


​Baking soda, oatmeal, coconut oil, aloe lotion, pure essential oil drops and water.

None of the ingredients I used are harsh so my recipe would be ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Baking soda is a safe odor absorber and cleaning agent to use on dogs. Oatmeal, coconut oil and aloe are great sources of moisture for a dog's coat. The purpose of the oil drops are to give the shampoo a sweet and soothing smell so I picked a lavender scent. You can choose any scented oil you prefer. Most of the ingredients I already had in my home. If you have never purchased coconut oil or essential oils, both products can be found in a store's vitamin section.

Since my recipe is only composed of six ingredients, it's simple and takes five minutes to mix up. My recipe makes 6 ounces. Jake is a large dog so I used almost the entire batch for one bath. 

Shampoo Recipe:

1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup oats
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon aloe lotion
6 drops essential oil
1/2 cup water

Step By Step Instructions:


​First I combined all the ingredients in a blender. I blended the ingredients until the shampoo mixture appeared smooth.



​When I finished blending, I poured the shampoo into a small jar or container. I would have sealed the jar but I planned on using it right away.



​Now it's bath time! Jake loves getting a bath.



With the help of my boyfriend, I wet Jake's fur down and started applying the shampoo in small amounts. The shampoo is a little thicker than normal to add moisture to the coat.



​As we continued scrubbing Jake, we massaged the shampoo into his coat. Once we were done applying the shampoo, we let it sit on his coat for five minutes before rinsing him. Due to the thickness of the shampoo and his long hair, I rinsed him a few times.



​After a thorough rinsing and a towel dry, Jake was squeaky clean and smelled great! 

Overall, I think the homemade dog shampoo was a great success. My shampoo was a little thicker than regular shampoo but I did that on purpose to add extra moisture to Jake's coat. The coconut oil really helped to add shine and the mixture of coconut and lavender made Jake smell fantastic. I would definitely make this shampoo again and recommend it if your dog's coat is in need of a pick me up.

If you decide to try this recipe, I would love to hear your opinion on the shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment